Friday, February 22, 2008

ER and the Atonement

I’m not a watcher of ER, but a friend sent me this clip from a recent episode titled “Atonement.” Without knowing the context of the interaction between patient and chaplain, it seems like a cry for help from an increasingly secular and postmodern world.

The man doesn’t need to look within himself to understand his feelings and thus "fix" himself. He needed answers to his questions. What the man needed to hear was the good news of Jesus Christ.


3 comments:

Smarty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken said...

Wow, that really is an amazing interchange. I would like to know how that episode ended. I'm guessing that the nice woman's message (of uncertainty) ended up being vindicated somehow.

Joel said...

I did some extra research and found out the ending. A doctor assured the man that his good deeds (of saving a boy I think) made up for what he needed to be forgiven of.