Friday, July 11, 2008

Dietrich Bonhoeffer Weighs In

And now Dietrich Bonhoeffer weighs in, not only on the Ten Commandments (see previous posts) but on prompt obedience to Jesus Christ. He is commenting on this passage:

Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family." Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:61-62)

Bonhoeffer:

The problem with this third would-be disciple is that at the very moment he expresses his willingness to follow, he ceases to want to follow at all. By making his offer on his own terms, he alters the whole position, for discipleship can tolerate no conditions which might come between Jesus and our obedience to him.

Furthermore:

Hence the third disciple finds himself at loggerheads not only with Jesus, but also with himself. His desires conflict not only with what Jesus wants, but also with what he wants himself.

How true!

This is from The Cost of Discipleship, a classic book written by this Christian martyr who lived during Nazi Germany. Since being in Reformed circles, I don't hear much about Bonhoeffer. Perhaps his theology is too mystical, or perhaps too neo-orthodox? But as I review my underlinings in my decades-old copy of this book, I find Bonhoeffer worth revisiting.

Two pithy sentences sum up the section of the book I've quoted from:

Discipleship is not an offer man makes to Christ.

And,

Only he who believes is obedient, and only he who is obedient believes.

No comments: