Friday, September 14, 2007

Good Day Theology

"Sanctification...is a thing which depends greatly on a diligent use of Scriptural means. When I speak of "means," I have in view Bible-reading, private prayer, regular attendance on public worship, regular hearing of God's word, and regular reception of the Lord's Supper. ... I can find no record of any eminent saint who ever neglected them."
- J.C. Ryle, "Holiness"

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."
- Jesus

As a young Christian I used to carefully monitor what made for a "good day" and what made for a "bad day." I quickly concluded that a day begun in God's word and prayer led more directly to what I considered a "good day."

Was this childish thinking?

We should never be legalistic or, as C.S. Lewis would call it, "mercenary" regarding those times we spend in the word and prayer. That is, we should never think we win some points from God because we slogged through a chapter of the Bible and prayed for a few minutes.

However, the longer I walk with the Lord the more I find this truth reinforced: A day begun with my mind on God's truths, and with my cares cast upon him in prayer, is bound to affect my day for the better. More specifically, it's bound to affect my attitude for the better. It's not that things will go "my way," so to speak; rather, that whether things go my way or not, I'll be more prepared. I'll have my mind set more firmly on things above, and therefore able to keep things here below (whether gifts or trials) in the right context.

Earlier this week we reflected on "the word of grace." If God's word indeed draws us close to the Living Word, Jesus Christ, isn't that a great start to any day?

What is your theology of a good day?

1 comment:

Joel said...

I definitely agree about the "theology of a good day." Like you said, we don't gain "points" from God for doing our daily personal worship and prayer. Similarly, there is no mystical or magical power to doing such things, either.

But to me, it definitely affects my thoughts, attitudes, and perceptions throughout that day. I find that I can better filter everything through a Biblical, Christ-centered worldview instead of my own fallen, selfish desires and my own motives. It is also easier for me to reflect on Christ and his promises throughout the day when I start off on the right foot.