Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Jim Kraeger Annotated Bible


This is a Bible I used for a handful of years in the early 1990s. These were particularly formative years in my Christian life and in my growth as a Bible student and teacher.

I call this the "Jim Kraeger Annotated Bible" because a friend at that time - we'll keep him anonymous but call him "Jim" - would often say things that I wanted to remember, and so I scribbled them in the back of the Bible.

Like this:

click to enlarge

Below are the four primary Kraeger quotes. I can't guarantee they weren't lifted from various Puritans (he was a diligent reader), though I generally attribute them to Jim:

1. "Without love, our duties are as burdensome to God as they are to us."

2. "Christ drank a cup of wrath without mercy that we may drink a cup of mercy without wrath."

3. "The prayer that moves God is the prayer that moves me." (NOTE: I have found this to be experientially true, though I bet some would disagree; would love to discuss sometime.)

4. "There are three categories of Christians: those who give Jesus place; those who give Him prominence; and those who give him preeminence."

I am currently trying to track down Jim Kraeger. If you know where he is, send him this way!

3 comments:

Joel said...

"Jim" sounds like a good friend to have. Out of curiosity - what were the quotations at the bottom, they were the only ones I couldn't make out (namely the one that started "to God, hungry..."

Ken said...

That quote is from A.W. Tozer: "Two God-hungry Christians will rarely disagree. They will disagree in those areas of their minds where they are not God-hungry."

You probably didn't see the one at the very bottom, below that, either:

"If you turn a publican into a Pharisee, you've made him worse, not better." - J.I. Packer

You know you've hit the big time when you're only known by your first two initials: A.W., J.I., D.A., N.T.

- K.M. Shomo

Joel said...

I like it...

-J.V. Pearce