Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Uncluttered Life

I've been reading up on the topic of simplicity lately.

A recent book entitled Simple Church explains that, in an overwhelming world, simplicity has become a hot commodity. Think of Google's homepage, or the iPod's uncluttered elegance. Think of reality shows that teach you how to organize or discard your many belongings.

More profoundly, I am reading about simplicity in God's word. I am reading about the uncluttered life.

For example, a famous passage in Philippians begins with these words: "Be anxious for nothing..." It then goes on to explain how to accomplish this through thankfulness and prayer. The goal here is a mind free from needless worries.

But we should notice that another famous passage immediately follows, one that ends with these words: "Think on these things." What are "these things"? Well, you'll have to read for yourself. My simple point is this: we should not only avoid anxious thoughts to make our lives more pleasant; we should replace these anxious thoughts to better glorify and enjoy God. If our minds are too cluttered with needless cares, we cannot give our minds over to more noble, and more enjoyable, pursuits.

By the way, I don't find that mental clutter is always a form of worry. At least not obviously so. Often, I find that I am unable to set my attention - and my actions - on those things that truly matter to God simply because I am distracted by so many "urgent but less important" matters. This is true even in - or especially in? - church life. Satan is not necessary upset when we are busy, if it's the kind of busy that draws us away from fellowship with God and service to others.

Jesus was often pushed and pulled in different directions. If you look at him, you'll see that sometimes he handled the "busyness" with grace and infinite wisdom; other times he withdrew, refusing to accept the agendas others set for him.

Let's indeed "think on these things..."

No comments: