Monday, May 12, 2008

Good Pastors Die Young

This is a response to the last post (below), concerning Jerry Bridges' discussion of selfishness in Respectable Sins. I wanted to highlight something Bridges brought up at the end of the chapter.

During the time of the boubonic plague, in the mid-1300s, thirty to forty percent of Europe's population died. This is a staggering figure. Bridges notes that at this time, "Many priests cared for the sick and dying, and as a result, they too died. Other priests refused to help. It was said at that time that the best of the priests died and the worst of them lived."

I'd like to paraphrase that: The best pastors die and the worst ones live.

I think we can say that with confidence because Jesus said this:

"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it" (Luke 9:23-24).

And the apostle Paul wrote: I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls (2 Corinthians 12:15).

Also from Paul: I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me (Galatians 2:20).

Good pastors die and bad pastors live.

No comments: