Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Appeal to the Working Class

The Christian life consists of worship and work. If you read through the book of Ephesians, you'll see that it divides fairly evenly between what God has done for us (resulting in praise) and how we should therefore live.

If you've been a Christian for a while, perhaps you have grown increasingly mindful of your responsibilities before God. Or perhaps you are what used to be called a "Christian worker" - someone engaged in formal or informal ministry, seeking to help others with the gospel. If so, perhaps you have noticed how easy it is for work to squeeze out worship.

I thought about this on Saturday, as I prepared to preach the following day. In fact, I can be more honest than that. I thought about this on Saturday, as I lost all energy to prepare my sermon for the following day because I was burned out! I didn't want to study and I didn't want to pray. And the reason, I am convinced, is that Christ work had squeezed out worship.

When I realized this, I stopped feeling guilty that I had no desire to prepare my sermon and I simply allowed myself some spiritual breathing space. As I was able to set my mind on God in quiet worship - as I mowed the lawn, dug out some tree stumps, played with my son, and walked the dogs - I was gradually refreshed and energized.

This train of thought led me to remember how, in the Old Testament, the worship leaders went out in front of the army:

[The king] appointed those who were to sing to the LORD and praise him in holy attire, as they went before the army, and say, "Give thanks to the LORD, for his steadfast love endures forever." (2 Chronicles 20:21)

It seems quite odd to put the worship leaders in front of the army (unless you really, really don't like the direction of the music at your church!). You would think the swordsmen or calvary would be up front, and perhaps some praise might waft in from the rear. But no, God put the priority on worship.

Our walk with God involves worship and work. We'll never work well, or battle well, if we don't worship well.

No comments: