Friday, April 4, 2008

Blogging Bridges: The Disappearance of Sin

We have come to the second chapter in our effort of reading through Jerry Bridges' Respectable Sins, titled "The Disappearance of Sin." In this chapter, Bridges continues his introduction, and gives several examples from secular and Christian culture about how the concept of sin has been extinguished from the American consciousness. This phenomenon is evident in secular and pop culture: "People no longer commit adultery - instead they have an affair. Corporate executives do not steal - they commit fraud."

But perhaps more disturbing is that the biblical idea of sin is no longer prevalent in many of America's evangelical churches - at least not on an individual level. Bridges explains that sin has been deflected to those outside church circles who commit "flagrant" sins such as abortion, homosexuality, murder, etc. Bridges says that "it is easy for us to condemn those obvious sins while virtually ignoring our own sins of gossip, pride, envy, bitterness, and lust."

But Bridges uses James to relate the concept of the seriousness of individual sins to the reader. James (in James 2:10) says that whoever fails in one point of the law is guilty of all of it. Thus, all sin is serious and deserving of God's wrath because all sin is a breaking of God's law. Bridges admittedly "painted a rather dark picture," but he points out that as God's chosen people, we must take all sin seriously and heed God's call to repentance and reconciliation with him. Part of the purpose of Bridges' book is to open our eyes "to God's calling to lead us to the place where we do see the sins we tolerate in our own lives so that we will experience the repentance and renewal we need."

I know I have definitely been guilty of overlooking my own personal sins like impatience, lack of self control, bitterness, anxiety, and lust and focusing my attention and grief on larger, societal sins like crime, oppression, and lack of care for the poor. While these are definitely important issues, and we as Christians should be concerned with them, we should not be so consumed with passion for them at the expense of an awareness of and confession of our own individual sins.

3 comments:

Ken said...

There's a quotation at the start of the chapter: "As a nation, we officially ceased 'sinning' some [fifty] years ago."

That's because 1953 was the last time the word "sin" was used in the presidential proclamation for the National Day of Prayer.

The word "sin" has fallen on hard times! How does this affect our ability to address it and deal with it?

Anonymous said...

Two ideas keep coming to my mind when I read through this chapter. First, the quote by C.S. Lewis in pg 17, "The barrier I have met is the almost total absence from the minds of my audience of any sense of sin." My thoughts first wander back to the biblical idea of saints that Bridges defines in chapter 1. Those who are not called to be saints will have no sense of sin. Makes me think of 1 John 1:8-10, "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives." However, Bridges book is focusing on the those called, set-apart saints that still are blind to some of their own sins. This leads me to my second thought, but it is rather crude and cloudy. I am drawn to Ex. 20:5b-6, " . . . for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments." I believe this verse is talking about passing on God's wrath (and love), not the "sins" of our fathers, but I wonder if there might be some link here, to the passing of of sins. I say this only because I am a parent and I see my sins in my children. They are learning them from me! If they are sinning as I am sinning, might they also have the same consequences (& grace if they are part of God's family)? The blessing for me is that God is using my children to (painfully) reveal my 'respectible' sins to me so that I might repent of them. At the same time, it hurts me that these sins have been passed on. It makes me think of this "visiting the iniquities of the father on the chilren" part and makes me wonder how God is doing this. This, of course, is an unanswered question for me that I grapple with.
As for your question, Mr. Shomo, I think I have somewhat addressed that in my comments (mostly the first comment), but I also wonder if Romans 7:14-25 and following chapters (which are too long for me to type) can be applied. We have this war going on between what we 'want' to do and what we 'actually' do. I also wonder if it has something to do with being in the world but not of the world. The more I take part in the things of the world, the more they seem natural. I am always noticing how I fall prey to the language of the world. In particular, I may make bold statements about my 'plans' as if I had control of these. In reality, I do make plans, but it is God who directs my path (see Proverbs 16:9). Why can't I say, "I would like . . . as long as it is according to God's will," or begin or end my statement of plans with "Lord willing"? My heart my be in the right place, but I am sending a message that I control my life. I suppose I don't use these phrases because I don't think most people care or because I may think it is implied. But not acknowledgeing God's will in my life in such a way slowly leads one to forget He has a place in ones life. And . . . it doesn't remind others of God's place in their lives. Maybe part of it is that we are not living boldly for Christ. This all sounds so hopeless as we fail so easily. Praise God for our redemption through Jesus!

Instead of calling me anonymous #1, you can call me Kate

Ken said...

Kate,

I think that the Exodus passage may not directly relate to passing sinful patterns on to our children, but certainly the Bible gives examples of this. One of the most fearful is David and Absalom. Another is Abraham and Isaac - Abraham, greatly blessed by God, but Isaac imitated him in some very specific ways. And I see that some of my sins were also in my father. The Proverbs teach about the power of the parent-child relationship in this respect, as do some portions of the New Testament.

God's grace is important to mention here though, too. By His grace, when we enter His family we begin to take on His characteristics. And also those of godly mentors in our life. I see this in my life as well, and I'm grateful.

As for the words we speak (such as "if the Lord wills"), I think you make a good point. We find reasons not to explictly honor God with our speech, and this can affect not only our hearers but ourselves as well!