Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blogging Bridges: (un)Godliness

According to Jerry Bridges, ungodliness is the root system beneath our other sins. He defines ungodliness in ch.7 as failing to keep God in our thoughts, failing to live before Him. I think the Greek word implies a worshipless life. Thus, you can be an upright citizen, a seemingly moral person, perhaps win or even host a reality show, and yet be ungodly.

And no one would care.

Just the other day I heard a Christian college professor remark how easily a diploma may be placed in a student's hands, and perhaps additional awards, marking that student as intelligent, promising, a high achiever. Yet at the very same moment, he lamented, a divine stamp might be applied: "No fear of God."

His point: that there is a human verdict and a divine verdict. We are not too bothered if God is not in someone's thoughts. Yet God finds this highly offensive.

What about you, and what about me? Are we conscious that we live before God? Do we act as if his opinion matters most, or are we content with the award ceremonies we've developed?

For a man's ways are before the eyes of the Lord,
and he ponders all his paths. (Proverbs 5:21)

In him we live and move and have our being. (Acts 17:17)

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two thoughts Ken:
1) I found this chapter to be very convicting simply by asking if I am living my life before God and for His glory. There is a danger that I would simply assume I do this because I am a pastor.

2) I think the sin of ungodliness (as defined) is a perfect example of the premise of the book: "respectable sins".