Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Blogging Bridges: The Tongue

In ch.19 of Respectable Sins, Jerry Bridges discusses "sins of the tongue." This is a short chapter, and I'd like to complement it with a short post.

Like Bridges, I have found that Ephesians 4:29 is the "go to" passage for thinking about how we use our words. Few Christians fail to be convicted when they consider the weight of these words:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

I would encourage you (and myself) to spend a day with Ephesians 4:29. Through the whole day, examine your words and conversations according to this principle: Did my words build others up, or tear them down?

If you give serious thought to this, you may just see your need for Christ - and his forgiveness - like never before!

* * *

Two more chapters to go!

No comments: