Saturday, June 14, 2008

Prudent or Shameful?

Have you ever put these two verses together?

Do you not say, 'There are yet four months, then comes the harvest'? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest. John 4:35

He who gathers in summer is a prudent son, but he who sleeps in harvest is a son who brings shame. Proverbs 10:5

This hit me hard on the airplane yesterday. There is a spiritual harvest: Opportunity all around us to share our faith and lives with others, in a way that draws others to Jesus Christ. Proverbs 10:5 says some recognize this and "gather," while others choose to sleep.

What would make us sleep? Well, what makes a shameful son sleep while the rest of the family goes out to work? Thoughts such as, "I have all I need" or "The work is too hard." Let the work be done for us, but please don't make me work!

Proverbs calls this line of reasoning shameful. I pray that the Lord will help me to labor hard for the gospel. Though the work is the Lord's in one sense, we are called to it - like sons working alongside their father. Will we be shameful sons, or prudent sons?

* * *

NOTE: Having been away during the week at the PCA's General Assembly, I'll post on our Jerry Bridges book next week. We'll be wrapping it up next week and then... well, we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I will be watching and waiting for what's next!