Friday, June 20, 2008

Blogging Bridges: Where Do We Go From Here?

Are our sins as small to God as they are to us?


We've been blogging our way through Jerry Bridges' Respectable Sins for several months. We now reach the end, the final chapter, entitled "Where Do We Go From Here?"

Bridges' primary suggestion is challenging: find a friend, ask them what sins they see in your life, and work on them! Blogging seems so much easier, though...

I believe that this book is not something that is to be closed and forgotten. This book is a valuable resource, one of the best contemporary books on the subject of sin. It does two things at once:

1. It focuses on seemingly "small" sins that we take lightly, which we are therefore a little more open to talk about. It's easier to admit you have a problem with overeating than with, say, covetous or idolatry.

But because of that...

2. It oh so subtly, yet effectively, makes us realize just how deeply rooted sin is! Because when we see these "small" sins for what they are, we are all the more able to recognize the "big" sins for what they are.

I have only one "small" critique, namely, that it takes a number of chapters before getting into the so-called respectable sins. First there are a variety of chapters concerning how to deal with sin generally; these might have been better left for the end of the book, after the different subtle sins had been exposed. They are helpful chapters, I would just place them differently.

It's been a great read.

And so the question is, indeed, what next? We have some ideas... and will be back soon to tell you about them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally finished the book this week and have posted my own reflections. Great book and Ken, I agree (and disagree a little) with your minor criticism of the book. Thanks for your (Ken & Joel) insights - they been helpful for my own evaluation and reflection. Can't wait to start Berkhof!

Joel said...

Berkhof?! I thought we were doing the Institutes? ;-)

Joel said...

Oh, and I think I respectfully disagree with your minor critique, Ken. For me, it was helpful to have the background of how to deal with sin and framing the rest of the discussion of specific respectable sins in light of the gospel and God's grace to us through the Holy Spirit. I thought starting the book that way set the tone in a great way for the rest of it.